![]() | |
Week of March 19 - 24QUESTIONHi Kim! I often create slide shows for special family events. For background music, I use generic instrumental tracks. I hear all the time that I could make extra money creating slide shows for people, but that I should use commercial songs as background music. I would never infringe on copyright laws, which is why I don't use commercial songs now. So, how would I go about using commercial songs legally? If I buy a song, or the client provides me with one he has purchased, can I use it? Thanks. ANSWERI'm very glad you're thinking about music copyright infringement ahead of time. The Recording Industry Association of America and its partner studios are notoriously touchy on this subject, and you don't want them to sue you. I can tell you that that licensing major pop songs isn't going to happen. Using the latest hit from Lady Gaga or Adele will cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars. So, how can you find affordable music to license? I'll show you where to go. >> QUESTIONI have five websites for my family and other topics that I created with iWeb and host on Apple's MobileMe. The MobileMe servers are going away this June. This was a great deal, just $99 a year for unlimited sites. Is there another service that will let me post multiple sites like this? I own the domain names separately. ANSWER"Out with the old, in with the new" has been Apple's motto for years now. In this case, the "old" is website hosting. Apple is encouraging MobileMe users to make the transition to iCloud. Unfortunately, iCloud doesn't have its own website hosting system. This means you'll need to save any MobileMe data currently hosted on Apple's servers. It will be lost forever on June 30th, 2012. Read on to learn a better option, and what you'll need to do to transfer your information. >> QUESTIONHi Kim. I tutor refugees and international students who live locally, along with some math students. Now, I'm looking to expand into online teaching. However, my laptop's built-in webcam is poorly positioned to demonstrate math problems. Is there an inexpensive way to hook up a second webcam? Thanks. ANSWERThere are a few paths you can take for demonstrating math problems. The easiest is to grab a decent-size dry erase board and hang it in view of your current webcam. Problem solved. If you want to demonstrate math problems on paper, or you plan to tutor in changing environments, a new webcam is the way to go. You can easily move it around to suit your needs. Read on to learn more about setting up an external webcam for tutoring. >> QUESTIONKim, I want an iPhone app I can put on my twin sons' phones to prevent texting while driving. I've searched on your site but can't find one. I don't want to prevent them from using their phones when my wife and I are driving, but I am scared to death when they are driving on their own. Any suggestions? Thanks! ANSWERI take any chance I can to talk about how dangerous texting while driving can be. It's a life-threatening issue that affects more and more people every day. I've received many heartbreaking stories from listeners who lost loved ones in distracted-driving accidents. Sometimes, those loved ones weren't even the ones texting! Unfortunately, you can't keep your loved ones safe from other people's bad decisions. You can, however, make sure they aren't the ones making bad decisions. Read on to learn ways you can prevent your kids from even thinking about texting while driving. >> QUESTIONHi, Kim. You have a great show and I learn a lot from you, thanks! My partner and I do a lot of hiking in the country. I've seen some phones that offer 2-way walkie-talkie ability in addition to regular cellphone functions? This would save us from carrying separate devices. Are these a good option? ANSWERAs you've seen, there is a technology that turns your cellphone into a walkie-talkie. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T all offer phones with push-to-talk capabilities - also called Direct Connect by some providers. Some prepaid companies also have phones with this service. Of course, it might not be the solution for your needs since it still relies on a cellular signal to work. Your adventures will probably take you out of cellular range. Read on to learn about other methods for communicating in the great outdoors. >> You Need to Know:Baseball apps hit a home runTake baseball from the field to your mobile device with these FAN-tastic apps! Whether you follow Major League Baseball or just your little leaguer, these apps are a hit. >> 3 easy ways to sell online (that aren't eBay)Want to be your own boss without having to quit your day job? Setting up an online store is a great way to earn extra income in your spare time. >> ![]() The new iPad is amazing, but it doesn't do much without apps. Here are the first 10 apps you should download. Keep up to date on all things digital with the Daily News at Komando.com. You'll find easy, fast video news releases, too! Miss the good old days of text-based adventure games? This site helps you create your own interactive stories. Electronic Bibles include many handy extra features, but that can make them hard to navigate. Instead, try this free, clean, easy-to-use Bible. The Internet is enabling infidelity. Learn how you can protect your relationship. Going out and about with two amputated legs is no easy task. But this 92-year-old woman does it - she even has an upstairs apartment! Learn the amazing story of her mobility. |
Sponsored Links Protect your privacyThe right blinds make a difference. Darken a room. Reduce glare on your TV. I did with Blinds.com! Order your free samples today! Be sure to tell them Kim Komando sent you! Get 2 FREE months of CarboniteI trust my photos, files, and memories to Carbonite Online Backup. You should too. Hard drives die. You need a backup. Sign up now for your free 15-day trial. No credit card required. Get 2 months free if you decide to buy. One call can lower your mortgage todayKeep money in your pocket. Take advantage of today's low interest rates. Call Quicken Loans at 1-800-QUICKEN. Or use their online tools. Equal housing lender. Access Your Mac or PC from AnywhereThe world's best remote access software now gives you access to all your files and applications on your computer from your iPad! Try GoToMyPC FREE for 45 days! Try me for a month!Watch my show live or on-demand! Listen on your schedule. Have your questions answered on my message board and more. All for less than $5 per month. I know you'll love it. Not a Member of Kim's Club yet? |
Advertise | Advertiser Comments | Sign Up for our Email Alerts | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription, use our online form.
Copyright © 2012 Weststar Digital Audio, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Please add kimstipreply@lyris.komando.com to your address book ensure Kim's emails reach your inbox.
To view this email as a Web page, go here.












0 comments:
Post a Comment